Sunday, October 21, 2012

It's the bachelor life for me!


Hello again, faithful readers.  I’m back in Tbilisi after a month of R&R at home.  The biggest changes as we start the second year of this contract are the downsizing of the team from 12 to three and the new living arrangements.  I am now living in a one bedroom, one bath apartment in the Vake (vah-kay) neighborhood, one of the more elite sections of town.  I’ve added some pictures of the place at the end of this posting. 

What was fascinating was the process you have to go through here in Georgia to rent an apartment.  Apartment buildings are not owned by a single entity here.  Instead, each apartment is individually owned.  The big problem with that is, since no one “owns” the outside of the apartment, no one takes care of it.  In the past, and I’m talking about in the old Soviet days, the state owned the whole building so they took care of the outside.  Not anymore.  In most cases, literally no one owns the building itself; therefore, the exterior of the building is ignored.  Parking lots are not maintained, the building shell is never painted, graffiti is allowed to bloom on any flat surface of the building, cracks in the steps and sidewalks are someone else’s problem, and the elevator and interior lighting maintenance is left to the kind ministrations of an apartment owner who is simply too tired of stumbling over cracked stairs with no light. 

So here we are, being shown apartments to rent.  As you drive into the parking lot of 68 Irakli Abashidze Street, you’re greeted by a handful of stray dogs and cats rummaging around the dumpster, the parking lot is full of weeds and trash, and the building itself is multicolored with graffiti (who is Salome anyway, and does her mother know what she does in the alley?).  You walk into a darkened hallway after being cautioned by the apartment owner to watch your step, especially where there are steps missing.  The hallway is dark and smells strongly of cigarette smoke, stale beer and urine (I have immediate flashbacks to the Beta fraternity house in college where I lived for two years).  The elevator doesn’t work so we have to walk up four floors of steps in the gloom to apartment #23.  My trepidation is high already and I’m not too eager to see what the apartment looks like after seeing the rest of the building. 

Surprisingly, I walk into a well-lit, bright, semi-clean apartment.  It’s furnished with all the amenities, a hard wood floor, plenty of windows (albeit lousy views – directly into the neighboring apartment buildings), and fairly new furniture.  I express my surprise and satisfaction with the apartment – my first big mistake.  After inspecting all four rooms, I tell Niko, our interpreter and in-country logistics manager, that it’s the best place we’ve seen so far – my second mistake.  Niko and my soon-to-be landlady, Olya -- who speaks pretty good English and fluent Russian, begin negotiating the price of the apartment.  Listed initially at $600 a month (for some strange reason, all major purchases in this country are done in dollars, not Lari, the local currency.  If you want to buy a used car, for instance, you negotiate, and eventually pay, in dollars – not Lari, not Euros, and especially not Rubles.  It’s a bit weird, but typically Georgian.), at my first statement the price went up to $1000 a month and at my second statement to $1200.  Now comes the theater part of the negotiations – my favorite part.  Niko throws his hands in the air and asks why the landlady thinks he’s stupid.  The landlady counters by asking why we’re trying to steal money from her grandchildren.  Niko responds by telling the landlady she’s a terrible Georgian for trying to take advantage of the childlike Americans who don’t know any better (he means me).  Olya fires back with the statement that she’s doing us a favor – she doesn’t have to rent to Americans at all since there are at least 17 people who will rent the apartment today.  Niko tells her to go ahead and call them then since he’s not paying a dime over the listed price of $600 a month.  Olya argues that single Americans only want to rent apartments so they can hold parties, bring in single Georgian girls, and take drugs (how come I never get invited to those apartments?).  Niko’s answer to this is to simply point at me and say, “Look at him.  Single Georgian girls in the apartment?  Really?”  That wins the argument.  I’m not sure if I should be happy that we won, or insulted about how we won, but anyway, I have the apartment at the newly negotiated price of $700 a month plus utilities and a two-month rent deposit for possible damages (despite my looks, she’s still not sure I won’t find some desperate Georgian woman somewhere).  I move in the next day.

It really is a nice apartment.  It’s quiet, convenient, abuts Vake Park (the Central Park of Tbilisi), and the neighborhood has everything I need – corner markets for staples and groceries; excellent produce stands (yes, Debbie, I’m trying to eat more vegetables); a dry cleaner; tons of cafes, restaurants, and clubs; and the main street of Chavchavadze Blvd. is only three blocks away.  It is not, however, the cleanest apartment you’ve ever seen.  Olya, who lived in the apartment for several years before deciding it was time to retire to Spain with her son, is not the most thorough of house cleaners.  I had to hire one of the women who worked for us in the Alamo to come and clean the place after I moved in.  I thought it would take about a half day to get the place spic and span.  It took two days of hard labor and about $100 worth of cleaning supplies to pass inspection.  But it’s home, at least for the next eleven months. 

And, of course, you’re all invited to the house warming party.  You’ll have to bring your own Georgian girls, though.

Thanks for reading.     
 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment