Saturday, October 29, 2011

Still waiting

Some random thoughts as I wait for General Dynamics' HR department to send me the paperwork so they can hire me.  First off, the title of this blog, Georgia on my mind, is two-sided.  Obviously, it pays homage to Ray Charles' song of the same name, which I believe is also the state anthem of Georgia.  But what I was thinking of when I selected the title was the Beatles' song, "Back in the USSR" where Paul sings, "...and Georgia's always on my mi-mi-mi-mind."  Seems to fit since I've been doing a lot of thinking and researching the Republic of Georgia in general and Tbilisi, the capital city and my soon-to-be residence, in particular.  Here's what I know:  the word "tbil" in Georgian means "warmth," and "..isi" means "place of."  Thus, Tbilisi means "place of warmth."  It got its name from the sulfur springs located just south of the city and famed for their healing powers.  Can't wait to try them, especially in the winter. 

I know that Tbilisi, situated along the Silk Road, has been a starting point, ending point, and ultimate objective for every neighboring army in the region.  Apparently, capturing Tbilisi is easier than bowling during an earthquake.  It's been done (capturing Tbilisi, that is; I don't know who else has tried bowling during an earthquake) by the Turks, Arabs, Persians, Mongols, Hittites, and probably a few others who didn't slow down in Tbilisi long enough to leave an impression.  Naturally, all of these cultures have left an impact on Georgia.  It is, for example, one of only three cities in the world where a church, a synogogue, and a mosque abut each other. 

There is a lot I can't wait to see in the city.  All that I need is the right paperwork to get there.  Hopefully, that will come soon.  I'll write more when I get there.  Thanks for reading, and your suggestions are welcome!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment